ANALYSIS ON OILS FROM OLIVES
QUALITY AND SAFETY FOR
Our laboratory is internationally recognised as a reference point for the chemical analysis of olive oils. It is the food matrix on which we have gained the most significant analytical and consultancy experience.
Every year we carry out thousands of analysis on samples of extra virgin olive oils, refined olive oils, crude and refined olive-pomace oils from all over the world from small mills, large industries and operators from every segment of the supply chain. This has allowed us to consolidate a rich and varied observatory on the matrix and its peculiarities.
Our chemical analysis of olive oils is performed using official methods, and in the absence of standardised methods, the Chemiservice Laboratory can develop and validate reliable and robust in-house methods. Most official and in-house analytical methods are accredited.
TARGET OF RESEARCH
ON OLIVE OILS
Chemical analysis of olive oils fulfil several targets, including verifying and assessing:
- The product category of the oil based on the regulations in force in order to place it on the market with a correct sale designation;
- Compliance with food safety regulations with respect to contaminants (EC Reg. 1881/2006 and subsequent amendments, EC Reg. 149/2008 and subsequent amendments, CODEX ALIMENTARIUS);
- Compliance with European regulations on the marketing of olive oils and olive pomace oils (EEC Reg. 2568/91 and subsequent amendments);
- The compliance of products with the provisions of voluntarily applied international trade regulations (IOC and CODEX ALIMENTARIUS);
- Adherence to purchase and sale specifications, to the technical specifications of the large-scale retail trade and to the requirements of non-EU countries;
- Full compliance with PDO and PGI production specifications as per current regulations;
- The nutritional profile of the oil with possible preparation of the relative Nutritional Facts (EU Reg. 1169/2011);
- The technical prerequisites for using nutritional and health claims on the label (Polyphenols such as Hydroxytyrosol and Tyrosol, Vitamin E, Tocopherols,Saturated Fatty Acids, Omega 3, Omega 6), ex EC Reg. 1924/2006 and EU Reg. 432/2012.
CHEMICAL ANALYSIS TO GET TO KNOW OLIVE OILS
Quality and authenticity of olive oils and pomace olive oils
Analysis on the quality and authenticity of olive oils and pomace olive oils cover a variety of analytical parameters required by European and international…
Contaminants and Food Safety
Analysis related to the food safety of olive oils are aimed at monitoring analytical parameters relevant to preserving consumers’…
In-depth analysis of the product profile
Analysis of the product profile of olive oil make it possible to verify the accurancy of the sales denomination attributed to the product and to…
Specific services for millers
Operators in the olive oil production industry, regardless of size, need to know the characteristics of their oil…
Specific services for packers and trade operators
Packers and traders responsible for placing oils on the market, whether operating under their own brand name or on behalf of third parties, take on specific…